Director, Integrated Marketplace Alliances
Reporting to the VP, Integrated Marketplace, the Alliance Director is responsible for providing management leadership to the business alliances at identified test beds (i.e., a group of stakeholder companies working in the same or similar site or sector who share common business and decarbonization goals). The Alliance Director is required to demonstrate strong interpersonal and team building capabilities as well as accomplished skills and experience in stakeholder relations, negotiation, influence, communications, dispute resolution and leadership, and will work closely with the business members, test beds, and the VP, Integrated Marketplace, to manage Alliance relations.
Compensation: up to $133,000 plus benefits.
Location: British Columbia with at least 1 day a week in Vancouver.
Employment Type: Full-Time. 3-year contract.
About the Integrated Marketplace
The Integrated Marketplace (the Marketplace) spurs and streamlines commercial adoption and scale up of innovative technology related to greenhouse gas reduction, increasing efficiency/productivity and ensuring safety. The Marketplace is led by Innovate BC and funded by the Province of British Columbia.
The purpose of the Marketplace is to drive the adoption and scale up of innovation by aggregating demand through business alliances, and testing solutions at identified ‘test beds’ in the province. This model is intended to prove innovation at scale and secure domestic customers for innovation solution providers while de-risking the adoption of innovation for business.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Vice President (VP), Integrated Marketplace, the Alliance Director is responsible for providing management leadership to the business alliances at identified test beds (i.e., a group of stakeholder companies working in the same or similar site or sector who share common business and decarbonization goals). The Alliance Director is required to demonstrate strong interpersonal and team building capabilities as well as accomplished skills and experience in stakeholder relations, negotiation, influence, communications, dispute resolution and leadership, and will work closely with the business members, test beds, and the VP, Integrated Marketplace, to manage Alliance relations.
The Alliance Director will also oversee the procurement needs of the Alliance, including determining procurement vehicles and negotiating agreements. The successful candidate will establish and maintain strategic relationships with existing and prospective Alliance members, the test beds, and solutions providers to ensure effective marketplace relationships and business processes, including refining and continuously improving marketplace structures over time.
- Develops and maintains the Alliance structure, including value proposition, conditions, agreements, governance, dispute resolution, etc.
- Develops, maintains and grows strategic partnerships to achieve the goals of the marketplace (i.e., the adoption and scale-up of innovation by BC businesses).
- Establishes and maintains relationships and facilitates strategic communications with Marketplace alliances and members at identified test beds.
- Leads and facilitates advisory and consultation processes with internal and external stakeholders, including processes to utilize third-party service providers.
- Develops and maintains a network of potential Alliance members at identified and potential test beds and regularly works with them to understand current and future innovation needs.
- Proactively identifies Alliance and testbed risks and issues and mitigates them appropriately.
- Manages the Alliance
- Supports and facilitates agreements struck between members to form and maintain an Alliance.
- Develops and maintains the governance and business processes for Alliances to function and extract value from Alliance membership.
- Oversees and conducts Alliance engagement sessions to identify and prioritize common business problems amongst Alliance members (i.e., conduct design workshops).
- Works collaboratively with Alliances and other testbed members to create business cases for prioritized business problems, including a description of the issue, success outcomes, and key parameters/metrics to determine success.
- Ensures that Alliance and testbed reporting requirements are completed within established timelines.
- Creates ‘pitch’ documents based on ‘problem business cases’ to attract potential solutions, including parameters of the pilot (i.e., testing needs, costs, etc.) and works with other team Integrated Marketplace Operations (IMO) members to help identify potential solution providers.
- Determines and conducts processes, including requests for proposals, to attract potential solutions (e.g., challenges, request for proposals, etc.).
- Supports the evaluation panel to evaluate and select solutions using determined evaluation metrics from the ‘problem business cases and pitch documents.
- Works with the Integrated Marketplace Solutions Director to negotiate project conditions, costs and parameters between the Alliance, the test beds, and the identified solution provider(s).
- Works with the VP, Integrated Marketplace to bring recommended projects to the Integrated MarketplaceMI Steering Committee for approval and funding.
- Works with other IMO team members to facilitate awards to the successful solution(s) and manages agreements to initiate projects to test solutions.
- Works with Alliance members to facilitate the completion of data sharing and foreground IP agreements as needed.
- Develops final reports and summary documents on initiatives for Alliance members.
- Contributes to the development and employee awareness of Innovate BC’s mission, values and goals.
- Leads, coaches and supervises staff and contractors including assignment of work, development and evaluation of performance plans, approval of leave, response to grievances and initiation of discipline processes.
- Provides ongoing feedback, conducts annual performance evaluations for direct reports, and implements performance improvement plans as necessary.
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives.
- Holds staff rigorously accountable for achieving their objectives.
- Builds and maintains a culture of people who take disciplined action and are willing to go above and beyond to fulfill their responsibilities.
- Designs and deliver an agile organizational structure that enables the movement of people and resources quickly to adapt to new opportunities.
- Processes and/or oversees the preparation and processing of contractor agreements and invoices.
- Evaluates and processes leave requests for direct reports.
- Ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to prepare for possible contingencies.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills, a proven team player.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, creative, motivated, self-driven and self-aware, diplomatic and generous in dealing with others.
- Strong business experience and understanding of business operations and goals.
- Strong project management experience.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with team, clients and partners.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Excellent facilitation, negotiations and dispute resolution skills.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experienced in coordinating workloads to meet deadlines.
- Excellent decision-making skills, and able to escalate response to situations when relevant.
- Self-directed, independent worker.
- Results oriented with personal responsibility for delivering on commitments.
- Strongly proficient in Microsoft Office® applications and general familiarity with and interest in emerging technologies.
- Knowledge and experience in program and service delivery in the public sector or non-profit sector. The broad complexity and scope of this position requires managing multiple stakeholders and interests.
- Post-secondary degree in business administration, public relations, communications, journalism, political science, international relations, law, or related discipline and program administration experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in a management capacity in the technology sector or related area in non-profit, private or public sectors.
- Demonstrated experience in communications, stakeholder engagement/relations, and facilitation with diverse and complex stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex negotiations amongst multiple stakeholder groups to develop shared value propositions.
- Experience in procurement, including contract negotiations and contract management, including resolving disputes.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent negotiation skills.
- Action oriented, flexible and innovative expert in stakeholder management.
About Innovate BC
Innovate BC helps foster innovation in B.C. so that British Columbians in all regions of the province can benefit from a thriving, sustainable, and inclusive innovation economy. A Crown Agency of British Columbia, Innovate BC funds and delivers programs that support the growth of the B.C. economy by helping companies start and scale, train talent that meets labour market needs, and encourage technology development, commercialization, and adoption.
E-mail your resume and cover letter in one PDF (file name = Fname Lname) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director, Integrated Marketplace Alliances”.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
DEADLINE: February 3, 2023
Candidates are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment. As such, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide proof of full vaccination with a Health Canada approved vaccine prior to the commencement of employment. Innovate BC will consider requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to medical or other human rights protected grounds.
Your application may contain personal information, which Innovate BC is collecting for the purpose of recruiting a successful candidate for this position and is authorized to do so under the Freedom of Information Act 26(c). If you have any questions about the collection of your personal information, please contact:
Dawn Wood, Director, Programs
900-1188 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC, V6E 4A2